Senior Prototyper | The Telegraph
Jul 2018 – Apr 2022
Embedded in the Product team, working alongside designers, journalists, and editors to build prototypes and proof of concepts for tools, interactive web experiences and visual storytelling experiments.
- Developed Milton, an SND award-winning open-source Figma plugin built using TypeScript and React, allowing designers to convert designs directly into responsive embeddable HTML, removing the need for developer involvement.
- Built an interactive scrolling story tool using CSS Grids, Animation, and Intersection Observer triggers. The tool was used to create “A year in lockdown” which gained over 100K views, an average dwell time of 15 minutes and an SND award. -Developed a full-stack web application screen-capture tool to take scheduled mobile and desktop captures of the Telegraph’s homepage. The frontend was built using TypeScript and React, while the backend used Node.js and Puppeteer for the capture and Google Cloud for serverless functions, Firebase, and storage.
- Developed a single-page application using TypeScript and React that enables video editors to create embeddable animations using the Lottie format. The tool imports Lottie JSON and presents the animation within a GUI, enabling previewing and customization before generating a self-contained HTML file.
UI Engineer | Simpplr
Feb 2018 – May 2018
- Developed UI components using React, Redux and Immutable.js for a large scale single-page application
- Collaborated with UX and designers in an agile workflow.
- Wrote REST JSON API specifications for Salesforce Database engineers.
Creative technologist | The Guardian
Nov 2011 – Oct 2017
Working in the Interactive team, with journalists and designers, responsible for the development of bespoke data visualizations and interactive experiences for spotlight stories.
- Oversaw the technical delivery of several virtual reality episodes for Google cardboard, Daydream, and Gear VR, including the development of prototypes using Unity and the PlayMaker plugin enabling pre-production exploration and specification definition. This includes the 6×9 project, which showcased at Sundance and Tribeca film festivals and the White House lawn.
- Built workflow tools with React and Node.js for designers to independently upload zipped illustrations directly to Amazon S3 buckets, and provided embeddable iframe HTML.
Front-end developer | BBC
Apr 2010 – Nov 2011
- Produced WCAG AAA compliant code that supported an extensive range of web browsers.
- Worked alongside UX designers to create prototypes used for testing and validating UI interactions.
Senior developer | Digitas (AKQA)
Mar 2008 – Apr 2010
- Travelled to Dubai and oversaw the UI development of a multilingual booking system.
- Built and presented proof-of-concept prototypes for client pitch meetings.
- Set up an internal innovation lab that brought together design and development teams to share knowledge and promote collaboration on a bi-weekly basis.
BA (Hons) Creative Multimedia | Teesside University
2001 – 2005
- Developed a point-and-click adventure game using an audio only feedback interface for the visual impaired.
- Studied Human-computer interaction and multimedia creation, including video and audio production, 3D modelling, and web development.
Tools & frameworks
React (Preact), Three.js, Pixi.js, webpack, esbuild, Git
UX and mobile responsive design, Performance and optimization, WebGL, Progressive Web Apps, Accessibility, Browser testing
Figma, Photoshop (Gimp), Blender, Illustrator, FFmpeg, ImageMagick
Cloud platforms & Operating systems
AWS (EC2, S3), Google Cloud (Functions, Storage, Firebase), Cloudflare, Linux, Mac, Windows
- Video games and 3D rendering technology
- Open-source software
- The Demoscene
- Internet security